Dressing for Below Zero Running


Went out early this morning, 7:00 AM, for a cold winter run. I stayed on the roads this time simply because with all the new snow and frozen snow and ice, it was essentially fairly flat trail running in up to 6" of crusted snow, even on the roads here in Keystone CO.

I layered up after getting the current conditions and forecast from Accuweather on my phone app. -3 F with -12 F real feel. Running below zero Fahrenheit - not Celsius. That's significant in and of itself.


I wore my old standby Salomon hybrid tights and jacket. They are mixed powerstretch fleece layers and panels with wind and water resistant panels. Below the bottom I wore just my polyester briefs. Under the jacket I wore a First Ascent micro fleece (50 weight polarfleece) and under that a TNF running base layer.

On my head I wore a buff pulled up over the crown of my head on the rear to cover my ears and chin, and an Icebreaker wool helmet liner over that. On my hands I wore my Hestra lobster-claw alpine skiing gloves, very warm since my hands can get very cold in these conditions. On my feet were Bridgeport trail (hiking thickness) wool socks under my Pearl Izumi Trail N2 shoes and Kahtoola microspikes.

And that was all. I was toasty warm except for the walk back from the bus stop afterward. Keystone has free shuttles at the resort which can be interconnected with the Summit Stage, free transportation in Summit County.


Oh, the cool glasses? Bolle goggle glasses, light enhancing yellow, from about 1986 I think. Yeah, retro all the way. Found them in a thrift store almost 20 years ago and fell in love with them for cold windy overcast flat light days.

Got in 5 miles, my goal, with a bit of zig-zagging around between the bus stops, Mountain House Base, River Run Base, the Keystone Stables and a few spurs here and there. Keeping the fitness going all winter long. Loving a brief reprieve from the treadmill here.

Comments