Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Training at Breck Rec

I'm not used to training any other place than in my basement or garage, but when we moved to Colorado this summer I had to figure out a training program that would work for me. I'm peaking for Elbrus Race 2013 right now, so I can't really bail on weight training, in spite of the heavy mileage in running and fast hiking I've been doing. In spite of the great quantities of vertical I've been doing. I have a punch-card at the Breckenridge Recreation Center, which is about the most reasonably priced option at the moment.



I love the Cybex machines overall. They're pretty smooth and have a good action. There are a few differences in perceived resistance between them and what I normally do. In general though, especially for my upper body training, I'm just working strength endurance on the low side of the curve. I'm doing sets of 25 with a moderate weight. For some of these I had to do a rest-pause sequence. When I couldn't go any more I just set it down, took 2-3 deep breaths then kept going with the count until I hit 25.

After hitting the machines upstairs I went downstairs to the free weights and weight towers. Fortunately they have two squat/deadlift stations, since one was being used. I did a set of squats, which felt rather odd with a straight bar. and then some Romanian or Straight Leg Deadlifts. Then some sets of three singles in a row. They're singles because you set the bar down and relax your grip between each rep. Those also felt odd with a straight bar. For my squats I've been using the Safety Squat Yoke Bar. For deadlifts I've been using a Hexagonal Trap Bar. Both give me a much better position with my wrists and help me to avoid repetitive stress injuries there. I'm just glad they had chalk out and available.


I finished with another set of squats, then went over to the "Hungarian Core Blaster". Here's a [LINK] if you want to see what it is, but I totally dig it. You can get a great workout. In Utah I use a kettlebell to do the same type of motion. 

Then I finished with some bicep and tricep on a lat tower. I tested out some pullup and chinup motions, but was pretty wasted after last week so I ddin't push that any further. Finally some knee-ups on a stand.

Upstairs:
Hyper/Roman Chair/Left and Right Side Abs:  25 ea
Roman Chair Ab Twist 10 rotations side to side
Cybex Lat Pulldown 25 @ 50 / 70
Cybex Shoulder Press 25 @ 40 / 35
Cybex Lat Row 25 @ 85 / 90
Cybex Chest Press 25 @ 50 / 50 (rp)
Cybex Let Extension 25 @ 50 / 50
Cybex Leg Curl 25 @ 110 / 110

Downstairs:
Full Back Squat 15 @ 45
Romanian Deadlift 15 @ 135
Deadlift 3x1 @ 225 / 225 / 225 / 225
Full Back Squat 15 @ 45
Sorinex Core Blaster 2x 15 @ 45 ea
Cable Tricep 2x 50 @ L6
Cable Bicep 2x 30 @ L4
Knee Ups 10 (knees bent)

Bumper Plates on the Deadlift Platform
I'm thinking I'll do a long run tomorrow and then a shorter run on Wednesday with the option of doing weights again on Wednesday or Thursday. We'll have to see how my recovery progresses as I peak for Elbrus Race 2013.