SlideShow@home - Ecuador Volcano Climbing

One of our neighbors missed the slideshow at Momentum, so we decided to rerun it for them, and anyone else who missed it. We did it Monday January 12 2009 at 7:00 PM. I set up the tv with my laptop and ran the little trailer I created out of three videos I cranked out in Adobe.



That's the HERA Climb4Life teaser.



And that's the Danielle Children's Fund teaser.

I ran that and a small loop of other smaller things while waiting for everyone to be ready.

I played my CD of Incan music I bought in Ecuador, but by the time the kids all arrived (I think there were about 20 people crammed into our little living room) it was too noisy, so I stopped it - no one could hear it anyway.

I started up, and right away had questions - much livelier crowd than at Momentum last time.

One of my favorite (if I must say so myself) slides was the flight to Ecuador, inspired by Mythbusters and Lonely Planet.



We got it over, all 400 or so slides, around 8:15, then quick had to eat our potluck snacks, answer more questions, then everyone hit the road. Surprisingly enough (sorry if that sounds rude) our house was cleaner than when we started. Thanks all!

In the middle of the end, when a few people were feeling inspired and itching to get out and fall in a crevasse themselves, to see if it really is as wild as I described, I offered to take anyone who wants up Rainier. Wonder if there are any serious bites on that one?

I'll be heading up the last week of June and doing Liberty Ridge, and if I survive that, I'll be coming down (there is no way off Liberty Ridge - once you start you are committed [and probably should be] and have to go up and over, coming down the Emmons Glacier route), spending a night in Ashford to recover and get a shower and change of clothing, then take DW up the Disappointment Cleaver route on a 2-day. We'll spend the night at Camp Muir (hopefully staying in the hut to lighten our load), then if the weather allows, take off at 1:00 AM to hit the summit around 7:00 AM. If bad weather, spend a day doing glacier training and try again next day. It's the "trade route" that IMG, RMI and AAI use to haul their inexperienced clients up after a day of training, and aside from my rescue training, there will be guides all over the route who are compelled by National Park regulation to assist anyone in trouble. They actually fantasize about that. Really.

Anyway, rest assured, I'm serious if anyone who was at the slideshow is interested, and if they want some training guidelines, I'm happy to post them.

Thanks again for listening to me ramble about Ecuador and my experiences there.

Comments

Post a Comment