Driving, PT 2

Lol, what fun. Since not many people read my blog, I feel relatively free to be as blunt and honest as I want. Thanks, non-readers ;)

Anyway, this morning, I had one of those fun events that is actually common-place anymore.

Driving along in the left lane, and some driver creeps up to fill all available space in the right lane, staying just exactly in my blind spot. Back in the old days they used to teach you that you stayed out of the blind spot as a matter of defensive driving. Now I guess the available real-estate on the roads doesn't allow for that, so they crowd in.

Now, logic and common-sense dictates that at any given moment, there are only 6 things a car can do:

1. Nothing, maintain current speed and direction.
2. Speed up.
3. Slow down.
4. Stop.
5. Go Right.
6. Go Left.

Or, actually, any combination of the above - 46655 different courses of action (6e6 -1) - but let's keep it simple and assume 6.

By driving in the blind spot, you are probably risking damage if numbers 5 or 6 occur - depending on which blind spot you are riding.

And logically, tailgating potentially violates numbers 3 or 4.

So many accidents, so obviously avoidable if anyone did the math...

But back to the topic.

I've noticed a sheep mentality among blind-spot huggers.

Like me this morning, you might want to change lanes to make a turn coming up.

You slow down. They think "holy crap! this really sharp guy slightly ahead of me on the left is slowing down! there's probably a cop right here! I better slow down" and they stay right there.

You speed up - they think "that guy looks really smart, and he's speeding up - there must not be any cops" and they stay right with you.

Sometimes, just to be annoying, and if there is no one behind me (see number 4), I'll just dead stop faster than they can react, and slide in behind them, then speed up to avoid anyone behind them.

But this morning, I managed to speed up fast enough they weren't able to fill the gap and I was able to make my turn.

Of course, because this is Utah, and every good Christian in Utah is filled with brotherly love and forgiveness, they flipped me off and sped up to try and brush my bumper (my jeep bumper is a solid iron tube, and your honda bumper is soft plastic - rear-ending me will teach one of us a lesson I suppose) then passed me shaking their fist and screaming. And this appeared to be just your average relief society sister on her way to Roberts to buy ribbon and lace for activity night.

Well, moron, you're the dumb@ss who was riding my blind spot and wouldn't let me in when I signaled and very gently tried to work my way over.

Lol, anyway, just another Utah driving gripe. Enjoy...

Comments

  1. It was a woman? And she flipped you off? Was she from our neighborhood and ward? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I decided to wander around and check out your blog, honest it is and super funny! You should be a writer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment